Search

Newtownabbey Borough Council St Augustines Church

SUMMARY

Name: Newtownabbey Borough Council St Augustines Church
Location: Ballyeaston
County: Antrim
Total Cost: £ 28,323.00
Axis: AXIS 3 : GROW South Antrim
Duration: 1 year
Telephone: 02890340000

PROJECT SUMMARY

Works to preserve the Church Ruin in Ballyeaston which is an important local monument and an outstanding feature within the village of Ballyeaston. In 2008 the Newtownabbey Borough Council carried out some remedial works with the support of the Heritage Lottery Fund, the Representative Church Body of the Church of Ireland and the Ballyeaston Village Community Group. 

BACKGROUND

St Augustine’s Church was originally built in 1786 and dedicated to St. Augustine who is reputed to have originally given Ballyeaston its name. The Church served the outlying congregation until the formation of the joint parish of Ballynure and Ballyeaston (Ballyclare) in 1988 and subsequently the building, of St John the Evangelist Church in nearby Ballyclare which was consecrated in 1903.

ACTIVITIES

The project included: 1. Filling in the batten recesses around the internal face of the north, south and west walls with lime mortar and clay tiles to prevent water ingress into the vertical joints between the stonework. 2. Partially rebuilding the window sills and jambs in the north wall using the cut Tardree stones to preserve the cut stones much better than leaving them lying on the ground. Also capping the existing stonework in these areas and restoring the physical enclosure that church once had.

BENEFITS

3. Rebuilding, repointing and capping flat spots or open joints in the stonework internally on the west wall, and on the east ends of the north south walls. 4. Rebuilding and repointing the archway in the west wall, and the fireplace in the south wall. These areas were structurally unstable and needed made good to prevent rapid and continued deterioration of the stonework due to water ingress and plant growth.

LESSONS

5. Rebuilding a portion of the west wall of the tower and reroofing. The tower was the best preserved element of the church, so replacing the roof would was the most effective and enduring way to protect it, whilst restoring some of the churches original character.